If you’re about to tan for the first time and are worried about not getting a flawless result, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with these 10 fool-proof fake tan tips for beginners.
10 fake tan tips for beginners
1. Exfoliate 24 hours before
It’s important to exfoliate 24 hours prior to tanning. This will remove any dead skin and create the perfect base for your tan application. We’d recommend using our Tan Enhancing Body Polish and Exfoliator. Specifically designed to buff away dry skin, it helps to even out skin tone and create a soft, smoothe canvas for a layer of fresh tan.
Top tip: When exfoliating, pay extra attention to very dry areas like your feet, ankles, elbows and knees.
2. Remove hair 24 hours before
This is one of the most important yet overlooked fake tan tips: if you choose to remove your body hair, make sure that this is done 24 hours before you tan. Self tanners are likely to sink into those loosened pores, creating dark spots and an uneven finish.
3. Avoid deodorants and perfume
Deodorant and perfume can create a sticky layer on the skin’s surface and prevent the tan from adhering. They can also turn some fake tanners green. It’s best to avoid them all together before tanning and while it develops.
4. Choose the right tan for you
This is one of the best fake tan tips we can give you: choose the self tanner that best suits you and your desired finish. At St.Tropez, we offer a wide range of tanners to suit the needs of all first-timers …
- The classic option: Our Classic Mousse is perfect for anyone who is nervous or new to tanning. This lightweight and easy-to-blend formula has a tint to guide application. Apply it with our Applicator Mitt, then wait for it to develop over 4-8 hours and rinse off in the shower. You’ll be glowing with confidence for up to 10 days!
- The gradual option: Alternatively, our Gradual Tan Body Lotion is a great way to slowly build and control the depth of your tan. Simply apply it like a moisturizer and it will develop into a subtle glow from day 1. You can then reapply it daily to achieve your desired finish. Just remember to wash your hands after application!
- The no-rinse option: If you’re concerned about leaving your wash-off tan on for too long, consider a no-rinse option. Our Purity Bronzing Water Mousse boasts a clear and lightweight formula that doesn’t need rinsing off and won’t transfer onto your clothes. Apply it using an Applicator Mitt, then watch it develop over the next 4 to 8 hours. Don’t worry, it will naturally adapt to your skin tone!
5. Moisturize just before tanning
Fake tan can often cling to very dry areas, so make sure that your skin is well-hydrated. Use a moisturizer every day in the week leading up to tan application, then moisturize very dry areas, such as elbows, knees, ankles, feet and hands, 2 to 3 hours before tanning.
Our Tan Enhancing Body Moisturiser leaves your skin feeling velvety soft and smooth. Apply it over your whole body before tanning, focusing particularly on dry areas. This will prevent the skin from absorbing excess tan and looking patchy, instead giving you a gorgeous, radiant glow.
6. Always Use A Tanning Mitt
For a flawless, streak-free tan and stain-free hands, always apply fake tan with an Applicator Mitt. It will help to evenly distribute and blend your tan, ensuring a flawless finish every time. Our Dual Sided Velvet Luxe Applicator Mitt will do the trick nicely!
7. Allow Your Tan To Dry Before Dressing
If you’ve chosen a gradual or no-rinse tanner, skip over this tip. If you’ve opted for a wash-off tan, though, this advice applies to you!
We’d recommend allowing your tan to dry fully before dressing. When you do get dressed, opt for something loose and dark. You don’t want it rubbing against your skin or showing any marks.
8. Wash Off Your Tan In Cool Water
If you opt for a wash-off tan, allow it to develop for 4 to 8 hours. Then, wash it off with slightly cooler water than normal, and don’t use scrubs or soaps as these can fade your tan. Simply rinse until the water runs clear.
9. Maintain Your Tan
Now that you have a beautiful, bronzed glow, the trick is keeping it even and long-lasting. We’d recommend gently exfoliating every 2 or 3 days, and moisturizing often. This will help your tan last up to 10 days.
Top tip: You can also boost your glow with our Gradual Tan Body Lotion.
10. Remove all traces of tan before reapplying it
To prime skin for a fresh tan application, remove all trace of tan. The quickest and easiest way to do this is with a remover mousse and/or tan removing mitt.
Our Tan Remover Mousse effectively gets rid of all traces of even the darkest tan, in minutes. Infused with detoxifying cotton extract and probiotics, it purifies, rebalances and primes the skin, leaving a clean canvas for your fresh tan. Apply it generously to clean, dry, tanned skin and massage it in. Then, leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse off with warm water while scrubbing with a Tan Remover Mitt.